Guide a young adult to success
Year Up creates a supportive community for our students—and we’re always looking for new faces to help. A mentorship is an especially personal way to impact a young adult’s life.
As a mentor to a Year Up student, you’ll have a unique opportunity to help young adults navigate new experiences and shape their careers. It’s your chance to inspire—and be inspired by—motivated, up and-coming talent in the workforce. You’ll also have opportunities to network with like-minded professionals.
- Email or call your mentee once a week
- Meet face-to-face with your mentee once a month for a 9-month period
- Assist in building and accessing professional networks and in reviewing resumes and college forms
- Encourage continuous learning and problem solving
- Attend the Year Up graduation and recognize your mentee
What mentors bring:
- The ability and desire to work with young adults (ages 18-24) from diverse urban backgrounds
- A positive attitude and good listening skills
- The willingness to share your knowledge and experiences
- Patience, understanding, and a sense of humor
Steps on Becoming a Mentor:
- Step 1: Please fill out the Year Up Chicago Mentor Application Form. This application is very important to the mentee as they will spend a significant amount of time reading it to learn more about each potential mentor. The more details you can provide in your answers, the better. Please don’t forget to attach your resume and a head shot of yourself in your return email and be kind with your file size!
- Step 2: We believe it’s important for prospective mentors to visit the Year Up site and view our programs in action to provide you with a clear sense of the vital role you will play in the professional development of our young adults. Please contact Jenny Wolfe at email@example.com or (312) 982-8231 to schedule a visit. During your tour and visit, we will be able to answer your questions about the mentor program and review our expectations.
- Step 3: We’ll announce the mentor assignments and you’ll be ready to start mentoring!